Wellbeing Plus Course
What is the aim of the Wellbeing plus course?
The Wellbeing Plus course is designed to help adults aged 60 years and over learn to manage mild, moderate and severe symptoms of depression and anxiety. The Wellbeing Plus Course is designed to provide you with the information and skills that you would normally receive from a Mental Health Professional. This course aims to teach you core skills to help you gain better control over your symptoms. By doing so, this course will help you to improve your confidence and your quality of life.
What is involved?
The Wellbeing Plus course consists of five lessons over an eight week period. You can choose to receive weekly therapist support during the course, or you can choose to contact us when you need to. The course aims to help people break unhelpful habits and learn the following core psychological skills:
- How to recognise the cycle of symptoms involved in anxiety and depression
- How to recognise and challenge destructive thoughts and beliefs
- How to recognise and manage physical symptoms of anxiety and depression
- How to gain confidence by learning to safely confront things you are afraid of avoiding
- Stories of how people from all across Australia have recovered
- How to stay well once the course has finished.
Who is this course suitable for?
The course is designed for adults aged 60 and older with symptoms of depression and anxiety. This includes people who experience low mood as well as those who may be experiencing symptoms of stress, social anxiety, panic attacks or general worry. The course is designed to help those who want to learn information and skills to improve the quality of their lives and emotional wellbeing. Participating in the course is recommended to those who have at least four hours a week to spend working on the course and practicing the skills.
The course is not suitable for those who are currently suicidal, do not have access to the internet or who are not Australian residents. We also do not recommend this course for people who are currently accessing regular psychological treatment. If you have very severe symptoms we strongly recommend that you see a GP and a Psychologist and/or Psychiatrist for assessment and treatment.
You can find out if you are eligible for this course by taking completing our MindSpot Online Screening Assessment.
- Over 600 people have used this course at the MindSpot Clinic
- 95% of people said they would recommend the course
- On average, symptoms of anxiety and depression reduced by 52%
- The Wellbeing course has been trialled at the eCentreClinic in 5 randomised controlled trials with more than 500 people, with excellent results (available here)
- Many people tell us they wish they had done this course when they were younger
Joining the Wellbeing Plus Course is easy.
To learn more details about our treatment courses, click here.
Then, complete a MindSpot Clinic Online Screening Assessment. This will provide you with information about your symptoms and treatment options. If it is suitable for your symptoms, you will then get access to the next Wellbeing Plus Course.
If you do not have access to the Internet, please call us on 1800 61 44 34 to begin your assessment.
Development of the Wellbeing Plus Course was funded by a Project Grant from beyondblue. This Course was written by Prof Nick Titov and Dr Blake Dear.